We got reminded this week (by our accounting system!) that two years ago this month Candle Digital (then known as Candle Learning) was born.
When we think back to 2016, we were just two blokes with some strong ideas and a desire to help as many people as we could. That hasn’t changed – while we’re a little older, and perhaps a little wiser, we’ve still got the same burning ambition to make our own little dint in the universe, while helping help our clients get to where they want to be. (Thankfully though we’ve traded the bedroom office for UBC in Halifax!).
We wouldn’t have come as far as we have without the support from our clients, our network, our mentors and friends and family. So thanks. And thanks again. We really appreciate it.
In the spirit of self-reflection and learning ‘out loud’ (something we advocate on many of the learning experiences we design) – here are some of the things we’ve learned/been reminded of in the last 12 months:
- Being generous goes a long way
- Technology is a tool, not the solution. It can amplify/scale/economise something, but the core has to be good to be start with.
- Being close to the end user of the product is the key to success. Assumptions increase the likelihood of irrelevance.
- You never know where a chat will lead to.
- Talk less, listen more.
- Continually assess where you are adding value, and if your brand and proposition reflect this.
- Ask for help – there are lots of amazing people out there willing to offer a hand.
- Being masters of your own destiny is a privilege – don’t take it for granted.
Looking forward to seeing where we are in a year’s time!
Andy and Mark.